Yeah, if you don't have the DSN config available to you, you're kind
of stuck.  You can sort of fake it by manually doing your own JDBC
connections, but that's a disaster waiting to happen.  If you've got
the ability to do it locally on your own hardware, I'd highly
recommend that approach.  Controlling your own stack from top to
bottom is WAY better than having to deal with other people's stuff,
especially when you're learning/playing.

cheers,
barneyb