no no no no no.
again.... CF = server side.  JS = client side.

if you pass JSON -to- the server -from- the client, you can use cfjson to
create coldfusion structures with it.  Or, if you're on CF8, you can just
use the built-in deserializeJSON().

But (again)... if you've SENT data FROM coldfusion TO the client, you are
now on the client.  At some point  you're going to have to accept that there
is no client side ColdFusion.  The "J" in AJAX is JavaScript.  If you're
going to be working with AJAX, you're going to have to bite the bullet at
some point and roll up your sleeves and work with JavaScript.  Or, yes, you
can use the built in AJAX functionality within CF.  depending on what you
need to do it might be robust enough.  But (IMO) the built in AJAX stuff,
while handy for quick one-offs, is not a replacement for really knowing and
understanding how to work with AJAX.