Dear cf-talk,

I'm working on a site that averages about 10 requests per second over
the course of a 24 hour period... of course it's considerably more
active during peak time periods (actually about 9am-midnight, with
peak activity between 8 and 10pm.

We spread this across 3 instances with 1gb of memory each.

Time between major GCs right now is about 14 minutes.  However during
the peak time, major GCs run about every 6 minutes.

These garbage collections cause a temporary pause in the processing of
requets while memory is cleaned up, and when you're getting 8 requests
per second, they pile up quite rapidly.

Right now I have Fusion Reactor configured to only allow 15 requests
into CF at a time and queue the rest.. but during these 15-20 seconds
of slow processing (every 6 minutes on each of the 3 instances),
unusual things happen like lock timeouts in the application.cfm.

Now.. after a major garbage collection, memory usage drops from 1GB to 400MB.

We're running windows server 2003 with 2 Xeon 3ghz CPUs and 4GB of RAM
.. coldfusion 8,0,1,195765, JVM 1.6.0_04

my JVM arguments:

java.args=-server -Xmx1024m -Xms768m -Dmail.host=www.classcreator.com
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -XX:+UseParallelGC
-Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/

Here are my settings from the "Request Tuning" part of the CF Administrator:

Maximum number of simultaneous Template requests  25
Maximum number of simultaneous Flash Remoting requests  3
Maximum number of simultaneous Web Service requests  3
Maximum number of simultaneous CFC function requests 3
Maximum number of running JRun threads   40
Maximum number of queued JRun Threads  1000

And as I said... Fusion Reactor is configured to queue requests beyond
15....and there are three instances (all with the same settings)

so.. how can I reduce the negative effects of garbage collection on
the application?

Any suggestions?

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind