Depending on how your app handles things you can address the frequency
of GC but also change the _method_ of GC as well.

Pete Freitag gives a great explanation on the different methods of GC:
<http://www.petefreitag.com/articles/gctuning/> It's for 1.42 but it
gets the general definitions across.

Here is the low down dirty from Sun:
<http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html>

Also be advised that GC can become more tedious when you throw more
memory to the jvm itself. Unless you are sure you need to allocate 1GB
to your jvm annd have an incredible heap, you might be shooting
yourself in the foot there too. :(

JVM tuning: an art and a science! :)