There are a few things I see in your JVM settings.

The one major item I see is your not setting a time interval for running
garbage collections.  This means the default time is being used and this is
known to cause issues during higher traffic occasions.   Your going to want
to add these settings.

-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000

As for your JVM version.  There is no need that I know of att his point to
revert back to the 1.5 series of JVM.  Sun release their version 1.6.0_10
which solved the major issue (class loader bug) that forced people to revert
to the older JVM version.  We've moved all of our CF8 servers to 1.6.0_11
and found that version to be very stable.  Our stats for last month just
came in at 2.25 million CF page view per day (which averages out to 26 CF
page views/second) and we had no JVM related issues.

I wrote a series of article on JVM tuning nad choosing your JVM version at
my blog.  Those should help you out.

http://www.trunkful.com/index.cfm/JVM-Tuning

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer