You are correct that session data cannot be replicated between
stand-alone installs of ColdFusion.  You are also correct in your
assessment of why my user's sessions seem to disappear when they switch
servers.  Unfortunately, I know what is happening.  What I don't know is
how to prevent it.

~Brad

> Now, I know that there is a big push in CF8 to stop using Client vars, but
> I will tell you that it does work quite well in the situation you describe.
> We ran apps, including many ecommerce apps, in a cluster of 4-5
> hardware-balanced servers for years without having "dropped session" issues
> using Client vars.

I would agree with this one the most. It seems to me that the session
data
is not being shared between CF instances, and when they hit https, the
client is moved to another CF instance, which does not have their
session
information.

speeves