Subject: Re: Client IP changes on SSL- tricks load balancer
From: Jason Fisher <ja...@wanax.com>
Date: Wed, February 25, 2009 2:09 pm
To: cf-talk <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>

In a hardware load-balanced environment, I have always used Client vars
rather than Session. (Just make sure you store them in the DB, not in
the Registry.) Basically, the Client vars are a contract between the
browser and the application, whereas Session vars are a contract between
the browser and the server. Since the application verifies a user's
Client session by reading back to the shared database, it doesn't matter
if the user shifts back and forth across servers in the cluster, whether
going from www.example.com to example.com or from http: to https:, since
the application always retrieves the 'correct' session.

Now, I know that there is a big push in CF8 to stop using Client vars,
but I will tell you that it does work quite well in the situation you
describe. We ran apps, including many ecommerce apps, in a cluster of
4-5 hardware-balanced servers for years without having "dropped session"
issues using Client vars.