-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Client IP changes on SSL- tricks load balancer
From: Maureen Barger <m...@cornell.edu>

> Your loadbalancer hosts your service name, www.bradsapp.com and it
> routes traffic to www1.bradsapp.com www2.bradsapp.com and
> www3.bradsapp.com.

Pretty much yes, except we do not have separate DNS entries for each
server right now (www1, www2 etc)

> The LB is configured to use sticky sessions so the
> client will stay with the backend it first is routed to.

Yes.

> Your loadbalancer is not configured to use SSL acceleration so any SSL
> request is routed to a backend webserver which has the SSL
> configuration.

>From my understanding, yes but I'm not positive.

> (FWIW LB do not read cookies. They manage stickiness
> internally and route accordingly. Communication between server and
> browser ideally has nothing to do with this.)

This has not been my understanding.  I have understood that LB's DO
manage sessions internally, but they _can_ inspect the cookies in the
requests to do so.  It has also been my understanding that LB's can add
their own cookies into the requests for this purpose.
http://www.ssl-technology.com/ssl_persistence.htm

> Your backends are each single server installs of CF with apache or IIS
> in front of them. They manage sessions, set cookies and retain the SSL
> conf.

Yes.  IIS to be exact.

> When clients go to http://www.bradsapp.com, their IP is one value.
> However when they make the switch to SSL, their IP address changes.

Correct.

> This is evidenced in your logs.

Yes.  I log each page request made to my server, the IP address, and
most of the CGI scope.

> Can you do an nslookup to compare origins?

I have done whois lookups at www.netsol.com to confirm their origins and
they have always belonged to the same company or organization.  In once
instance, both ips belonged to a military network.  In today's instance,
btoh IP addresses belonged to Verizon Wireless's network.  (A Verizon
Wireless employee was the person experiencing the problem today)

> Could the IP shown when SSL requests are made be that of the LB?

No.

> Can you replicate this behavior from your machines/subnets

Doubtful.  I'm not sure how to do it firstly, and secondly, my office
building only has one external gateway (IP) for the traffic to
originate.

> or are your clients limited to one group who all access the app the same way?

No, my clients can be anyone in the US or Canada.

> What LB is being used here?

Radware.  That's all I know at this point.

> Who manages its config?

A hosting company who manages our racks in space purchased from a data
center.

> Can you get a copy of its config as it pertains to your app?

I can try, but I'm new here and traditionally the LB's have been a
hands-off thing for the CF guy.

~Brad