Database tuning is an important line item on my discussion list for this
meeting.

To expand on some of your points.

First the system currently limits users to only selecting data from on
year at a time as a stop-gap measure to try and limit the operating cost
of the query.  The trouble is that this is both too limiting and not
limiting enough.  First it is still quite possible for a user to build a
query that will jam up the system while at the same time it limits users
who want specific enough information to be reasonable, but want it for
multiple years.  It forces them to submit the same request over and over
only changing the year.

Speaking of these users, they are truly a mixed bunch.  They range from
the professional who supposedly knows what they want to the soccer
parent who wants to know *everything* that has been used withing a 100
mile radius of their home/work/school.  Unfortunately we have to cater
to both as best as we can.  A big driver for making this as self-help as
possible was the realization that we where commonly getting these
requests from both sides of a litigation case in civil court.  But
because of how each side might have asked for the information combined
with how different developers might have understood the request and the
data we could be providing radically different results to each side that
is effect provided some sort of de-facto 'interpretation' of the data.
A position we really do not want to be in.