Alright gentlemen, I think I have it figured out now.  I do remember
that CF looks in custom tag paths, but that was when I was using
components with application.cfm and my legacy code.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/6.1/htmldocs/buildi12.htm

#4 reads "Directories specified on Custom Tag Paths page of the
Administrator"

That said, I'm ready to move on to doing it the right way with
Application.cfc.

I want to specify my components using a FQDN such as:

edu.evansville.applybeta.package.component

My components are located at:

E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components

I would then have the following directory structure:

E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components\edu
E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components\edu\evansvill
E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components\edu\evansvill
e\applybeta\
and so on...

Should I:
* Create a "/" mapping to
"E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components\edu"
* Create a "/edu.evansville.applybeta" mapping to
E:\WebSites\applybeta.evansville.edu\Extensions\Components\edu\evansvill
e\applybeta\

What is the most accepted method for mapping in this manner?

I certainly appreciate your help with clarifying this for me.

Thanks,
Mike