> There are currently three of us hosting a total of about 120 sites that use
> CF5. (We have sites that don't use CF and I don't actually administer the CF
> server except to add ODBC data sources and an occasional scheduled task.) It
> just isn't practical for us to spend $8,000 every other year on a new
> version of CF.

Why would you have to spend $8000 every other year? You haven't
upgraded in years. You could upgrade once, and then hold off for
several more years.

> Should we find it necessary to use new tech to satisfy our clients, our only
> affordable option will be php. The thought of having to learn new code makes
> me grumpy, hence the complaint.

Well, paying $8000 might seem like a lot, but if you value your time
it's not that much. I could make a lot more than that in the amount of
time it would take to convert 120 sites from CF to PHP. But anyway, do
these 120 sites need Enterprise functionality? Maybe you can get away
with the much cheaper Standard version.

But now, again, I don't really understand your complaint. If you don't
have to upgrade to new technology, you can keep on keeping on. If you
do, it's going to cost you something - either time or money or both.
That has nothing to do with the frequency of Adobe's releases.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/