> Hi all, not a CF-specific question but I'm hoping someone can point me in
> the right direction.  We're building an application where some information
> stored in our database could potentially be subpoenaed to court as evidence.
> One of the issues brought up by the attorneys is the integrity of the data
> stored in the database and how it could be proven in court that the data has
> not been altered since it was entered into the database.  Any ideas on where
> to start looking for a solution to that?  The front-end is ColdFusion with a
> MS-SQL back-end.  This is a new area for me, so it's interesting, but I
> don't have any points of reference to work from either.  Any insight is
> appreciated.  Thanks!

My first recommendation would be to log all database changes to a WORM drive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_Once_Read_Many

That's pretty much an ironclad solution, from an e-discovery
perspective. But it may be fairly expensive to implement.

My second recommendation would be to ask your company's counsel to
determine your due diligence requirements, and implement whatever they
recommend. Then, of course, once this has been implemented, get a
piece of paper saying so, with their signoff. Oddly, it's not so much
the technical aspects of this that seem to matter as it is the fact
that other people have reviewed it and are satisfied with the
implementation.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or o