> There must be some sort of technical standards that are used commonly in law
> to prove the validity of data.

One would think so. But in my own experience as an expert witness,
this has come up several times as an issue in my cases, and
surprisingly this hasn't been as clear-cut an issue as I'd have
expected. While I'm an expert on a fairly narrow set of specific
technical issues, I'm a layman when it comes to evidentiary procedure,
and I'm certainly not a lawyer. And, basically, the way this has
worked out on several cases is that each side has made conflicting
claims about the specific evidentiary value of some asset, a codebase
for example, and the judge simply sorts it out (or, more often, the
case goes to settlement without it even getting that far). It's very
rare that there's actual "proof" that the facts are as stated.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.