On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't be quite so quick on the pronouncement that most of tablet
> platforms will support Flash, at least in the short term. Besides the
> iPad, there isn't a shipping tablet that has any serious market
> penetration. Archos has one out there, but it doesn't run Flash. Dell
> is planning a weirdly form factored 7-inch based on Android, but there
> is no release date. HP was planning the Slate to ship with Win 7, but
> since their acquisition of Palm and their WebOS, the Slate has
> supposedly been shelved.  Microsoft officially abandoned their tablet
> offering. There have been some rumors about Google offering one, ala
> the Nexus One, with theories about it running either Android or Chrome
> OS, but there are no announcements.
>
> At this point, Flash basically doesn't run on any shipping or
> announced tablet in the same form factor as the iPad (HP and Lenova
> call some of their laptops tablets, but they all have keyboards and
> are heavier and much more expensive than the iPad). We'll probably see
> something based on the Android platform as it ramps up Flash 10.1
> support, but it isn't clear who will offer it. Most likely Dell. There
> are not any Win 7-based tablets hitting the market soon afaik.

> With HP reportedly cancelling their Slate/Win7 project, it looks like
> Apple has the tablet market locked up for at least the next 6 months.
> We'll see what happens after that, but we saw what happened when Apple
> got the lead in the portable mp3 player market. Zune still sells but
> the iPod still rules the roost years later.

Exactly, the Android and Win7 tablets are what I'm talking about. And since
those are the only 2 other major tablet platforms that I've heard of, and
since those two platforms are going to be used by most of the
iPad competitors, I still feel fine saying most of the tablets will run
Flash and AIR.

http://www.nytimes.com/external/venturebeat/2010/05/05/05venturebeat-adobe-demonstrates-flash-and-air-on-android-42419.html

<http://www.nytimes.com/external/venturebeat/2010/05/05/05venturebeat-adobe-demonstrates-flash-and-air-on-android-42419.html>
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100505-723039.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

They're slated to be available later this year. There are numerous phones
that already run Flash Lite and Flash 10.1 is also coming to mobile devices
later this year:

http://moconews.net/article/419-adobe-flash-10.1-coming-to-phones-in-first-half-250-million-by-2012/

Apple will indeed have a head start, but only of a few months as opposed to
the multi-year time spans it took for anyone to come close to the iPod or
the iPhone. The point is that this is coming soon, and it is going to run on
a huge number of devices.