Well if you are doing A LOT of database transactions then you have to
consider the additional processing time and memory required by creating all
those objects.
Instantiating objects is nowhere near as much of a bottleneck as it used to
be, so it depends on your application and requirements.
It is a trade off at the end of the day, ORM increases productivity and
reduces complexity but at the same time you lose flexibility and control and
of course performance.
If performance and scalability if your big concern for your database then
you should perhaps be looking at using stored procedures, I don't know how
hibernate copes with these, if at all but as the SQL and logic is in the SP,
I can't see benefit to using ORM to call the SP anyway.

--
Russ Michaels

FREE CFML hosting for developers
www.cfmldeveloper.com