Rick,

I have shared CF variables with JavaScript too.  What I usually do is this:

If I have to do any processes to define the CF variables, I put them at
the top of the document, above the <head> section.  Then, in the <head>
section of my CFM page, I add a <cfoutput> inside a <script> tag and
pass all of the desired CF variables into JavaScript variables.  I make
sure this is defined before I load any external JavaScript files and
call any JavaScript functions.

This way my JavaScript files retain their ".js" extension.

HTH,
Carl