Dave,

Let's look at some of the things you have listed.

- RDS is just not datasources, it is also file views and extensions and also
about the Editor as well. Without the RDS you don't' get a lot of the
intellisense help etc.
- TailView is very handy because you can open up a number of views an watch
the different errors, as well as color code the errors as well.
- SVN Plugin does far more than what you think it does, and combined with
mylyn it is an invaluable tool at your disposal.

Now the one thing to note, which a lot of people seem to misunderstand is
productivity. When you have everything at your finger tips witout having to
switch windows and applications all the time, and you setup your Eclipse
views to a way that makes sense for you then your productivity gets
increased by about 500%.

So the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to be productive and
have it all at your finger tips, or are you happy to plot along switching
windows and applications all time?

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/