>>With the advent of more advanced features, everywhere I go I see a big
push for moving Coldfusion and Coldfusion development into very complicated
frameworks and  OOP. The usual reason given is that not doing so runs the
risk of rendering the Coldfusion developer obsolete in the job marketplace.

No not really. It is still just as easy to learn. I a helping a friend, a
very talented artist/UI/html/css guy learn cf and he is doing fine with it.
He is not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination but CF allows him
to do basic stuff very easily. Stuff that would take MUCH longer to learn/do
if he were using PHP.

All the OO and Framework stuff is good for when you hit the limits of what
you can do with procedural methodologies (IMHO). Like Ray said, OO and
Frameworks are for solving problems.

My $.02 and worth every penny,
G!