Sorry... AMF, not AMA  

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com



-----Original Message-----
From: Mark A. Kruger [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:50 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


No that would not be accurate.  Flash's animation engine is designed for
animation. It's smooth and slick and scales when you zoom or draw back
(vector graphic stuff).  Ajax animation is basically HTML smoke and mirrors
- good stuff and works well on modern computers but try calculating and
drawing a MACD or Bollinger bands with it (yikes!). The data transfer that
Flex uses under the hood is AMA - leaner and faster for larger data sets. We
have a chart with 2 panels and something like 40 data sets (up to 5 years of
data)... so lots of things loading in the background while we draw initial
plots.  

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com



-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:42 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


So basically, Flash's implementation of Ajax (generic
usage of the term) is faster than, say jQuery's?

Would that be accurate?


-----Original Message-----
From: Mark A. Kruger [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:41 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


Rick,

Yes we did... and yes it is the flash animation portion...

-Mark


Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com



-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:40 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


Mark,

Do you create your "financial visualizations" in Flex?
Is it the Flash part of the visualizations that performs
better than AJAX?

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark A. Kruger [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:04 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


Rick,

I agree with you in large part with one exception. We do a lot of financial
visualizations that would simply gasp and die in Ajax - even if we could
find the proper libraries for them. And it would also be hard to duplicate
the animation, opacity etc. But for 95% of things I'm with you - the
Ajax/jQuery stack has revolutionized things like CRUD forms and data entry
on web pages.

-Mark

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com



-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:45 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Is Coldfusion losing its biggest asset?


I've spent the past year or two incorporating jQuery
into my programming, mainly the AJAX functionality.
Everything I do (perhaps too much!) uses AJAX.  It's just
become my paradigm for getting info from and onto pages,
working in conjunction with cfc functionality.

I mention this as I wondered about Flex, based on the
comment a few moments ago.  I checked out a few examples
of Flex demos and didn't see anything, on a cursory
look, that I couldn't easily do (or currently do) in jQuery.

Based on the Adobe site's comments, I would have to learn
MXML, ActionScript 3.0, and utilize Flash to build
rich-interface applications.

I can do that now with CF, CSS, and jQuery (totally free
and being developed for cross-platform mobile devices).  (Of course,
Flash adds more interface graphics capabilities...but Flash
is another world unto itself.)

Flex, to me, seems to be a rather "involved" endeavor.

I'm also moving rapidly (preparing, at least) into mobile
development, as I see that as a field about to really explode
with possibility for developers.  I get to return to my current
clients and say "you really need a mobile version of your website,"
and still use just CF, CSS, and jQuery to build mobile sites.

But, I come to this entire conversation as an independent
developer, not as someone looking to be hired by another company,
either for project work or for a part-time or full-time position.
So, the perspective is different than someone seeking to build
up a resume.

Just my .02 ...

Rick













~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Order the Adobe Coldfusion Anthology now!
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Coldfusion-Anthology/dp/1430272155/?tag=houseoffusion
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:340742
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/unsubscribe.cfm

Reply via email to