Exactly what he said. However, since you are also having trouble with client
variables, I suspect that the memory storage location is the issue. Usually by
default sessions are managed via the cookies on CF5. However it was possible to
change this to Registry or choose a database.  If the server is set to use the
Registry it could be running out of storage space to save the sessions and thus
they are getting lost (expired really).

Look in the CF Admin for memory storage location and make sure it's set to
cookies or a database provided that one was setup to do client variable storage.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator

Wil Genovese Consulting