On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Wil Genovese <jugg...@trunkful.com> wrote:
> I would also argue that price and the lack of ANY school, college, etc
> exposing students to ColdFusion is also a big part of this.

I'll argue against this being an issue (as I've argued against it
several times in the past): most of the people I know doing software
for a living are not using the technology they learned at school /
college. Many of them didn't learn any technology at school / college
but here they are writing code now.

> But I think Adobe NEEDS to get into schools at all levels and push ColdFusion
> very hard. Yes, I know the educational license is available.

And there's the full curriculum freely available too.

> IMHO one reason why some companies are moving away from ColdFusion is due to
> the relatively small number of CF programmers.

Yet some companies are moving from, say, Java to other languages with
far smaller communities than CF (Clojure, Scala). I think Groovy's
community is only about the same size as CF's and Ruby is only twice
that - yet companies are moving to those languages. I suspect
companies complaining about the lack of good CF programmers just think
the grass will be greener elsewhere. the reality is that finding good
developers is hard in almost any technology (although in the niche,
leading edge languages, the bar tends to be much higher so quality is
generally better, even if the numbers are even worse).

> Plus I think we cost more? I'm not sure about this, but all the PHP jobs I
> saw this past year paid poorly.

True. PHP jobs in general pay much less than CF jobs. I'll posit that
Clojure, Scala, Groovy and Ruby jobs all pay a lot more than PHP too
(and probably more than CF jobs for the most part?).

> To me, the growth and future of ColdFusion depends on the community as well
> as Adobe.

Yes. I'm not saying Adobe is absolved from responsibility here - I'm
just pushing back on people who seem to think it's entirely Adobe's
responsibility and that the community should be able to just sit back
and enjoy financial success because of Adobe "doing everything".

> I'd rather have a ColdFusion language that was a bit more difficult to learn
> so that real programmers programmed CF. I'm not being elitist or arrogant,
> I'm just expressing my opinion that has been based on what I have seen.

I've been flamed for making similar comments :)

> It's up to everyone to step up and promote ColdFusion.

Amen.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/