Paying the $500 is the per incident support. So you've got an issue,
you report it and ask for help. If it's a bug, you get your $500 back.

You also have Platinum support, which is maintenance & support.

Maintenance is your subscription ... as long as you keep it valid, you
get new releases at no addition charge (paying for maintenance is
ALWAYS cheaper than paying for upgrades).

The support is just that ... and no more $500 upfront to get some
help. You've already paid an annual fee and you can bug Adobe support
as much as you like (on a dedicated number/email).

Andy