From: Mike Chabot [mailto:mcha...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:15 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: why is cf_builder so expensive?

I disagree with the suggestion that the technologies major companies decide
to use is unimportant to developers. I am active in the Microsoft developer
and database communities and I can say with certainty that Microsoft makes a
big deal about how they use their own technologies to power their company.
The phrase "we eat our own dog food" is used all the time in Microsoft
presentations. Scott Guthrie seems to mention this in every talk he gives. I
have heard "we use the technology ourselves" used as a selling point for SQL
Server 2008, Exchange 2010, IIS 7, Visual Studio 2010, WPF, Silverlight, SQL
Azure, and other well known technologies. In fact, for every Microsoft
technology I can think of that is targeted at IT people, one of the main
selling points is "we use this product ourselves so we are motivated to make
it better by our own internal IT staff." When Microsoft does not use one of
their own promoted in-house technologies for something, such as not using
WPF for MS Office 2010, the criticism is loud and widespread. The Microsoft
developer community erupted with criticism a couple months ago when Bob
Muglia, who was one of the top guys at MS until recently, publicly expressed
Microsoft's commitment for HTML 5, a non-Microsoft technology and a direct
competitor to Microsoft's in-house technologies.

If you don't typically see these types of issues discussed with tech
companies other than Adobe, it is because publicly using competing products
normally should not happen. When Steve Jobs appears on stage, he has an iPod
in his pocket, a MacBook on the podium, and a Keynote presentation on the
big screen. If he showed up with a Zune, a computer running Windows 7, and a
PowerPoint presentation, it would absolutely be a popular topic of
conversation.

The fact that Microsoft uses their own technologies is a big deal to me.
Upgrading a mission critical database is always risky. The fact that
Microsoft used SQL Server 2008 to power their own Web sites and
applications, even while the product was still under development, gave me
added confidence that SQL Server 2008 was stable enough to use right after
it was released for sale. One of the reasons a Microsoft manager said that
Silverlight/WPF advanced as fast as it did was because Visual Studio 2010
was built on the Windows Presentation Foundation framework, and
feedback/pressure from their own VS2010 development team was used to rapidly
advance Silverlight to the v4 version.

Based on my knowledge of the inner workings of certain large organizations,
there is typically huge pressure on managers to not be seen using competing
products. The CEO of Coca-Cola will never be seen enjoying a Pepsi. Steve
Balmer will never be seen talking on an iPhone. If someone handed him one he
would smash it on the ground as quickly and as forcefully as he could. Adobe
appears to lack the same internal pressure and competitive spirit that
exists in other successful large corporations. Adobe has an excuse in that
they acquired most of their major development products, but that excuse
cannot be used forever.

-Mike Chabot

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chabot