> Why do you think it's absurd to think that open source engines will
> bring more people?

Because it doesn't seem to have done so, so far. Because the niche in
which CF is popular doesn't seem to care that much about open source
or free. Because there are plenty of other open source engines in
other languages, and people who care a lot about that seem to have
mostly already moved to one of those.

> Do you think the only thing that makes a language "worth" something,
> is how much it costs?

No. I'm not sure where you got that from my previous responses.

> What about my argument about one in the bush, vs. none in the bush?

That's not an argument, it's speculation.

> And say Adobe did drop CF-- do you think that would spell the end of
> the language?

Yeah, I do. I don't think that everyone would switch to comparatively
unknown, new alternatives. If a big company like Adobe can't guarantee
the future of CF, why would anyone think that these other people can?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.