I think I can see one possible cause of your problem Dave.
You may actually have 2 applications running.

one on yourdomain.com
and another on www.yourdomain.com

So if someone goes to yourdoamin.com and then www.yourdomain.com they will
NOT be seeing the same application.  So perhaps most people go to
www.yourdomain.com, but every so often someone visits
yourdoamin.cominstead, which would restart the application if it was
outside the timeout
period.

To avoid this you need to add a redirect, so that only 1 domain is in use.
either redirect www.yourdoamin.com to yourdomain.com or vice versa.

And also change your code to explicit to avoid this problem

if CGI.SERVER_NAME IS "blah.com"

else ... staging
else ... dev
else redirect to blah.com