> Now here's an example I would point to concerning the difficulty
> I would have even getting past consideration of using Adobe's
> technologies.  Take this presentation/tutorial on Adobe's site,
> for example:
>
> "...Tim Buntel explains the data-centric features in Flash Builder 4
> and shows how developers can use both Flash Builder and ColdFusion
> to create Flex applications."
>
> Three different technologies mentioned in one statement.  Learn
> Flash Builder 4 and the ColdFusion language to be able to create
> a Flex application.  Sounds too convoluted, to me.
>
> Too many diverse technologies?  Confusing to those considering
> using Adobe's products?  AIR, Flash, Flex, ColdFusion, etc?
> Dreamweaver or Flash Builder, or perhaps ColdFusion Builder?
> I'm glad I'm not just starting out in this, trying to decide
> what to use to make a living.

I don't know what kind of response you hope for here. Programming is
complicated. Client-server programming is more complicated. Web
programming (being a specific subset of client-server programming) is
arguably more complicated still. And yet, I think all of them are
simpler than building console applications in assembler, which is a
much less complex environment overall.

Would you find this confusing?

... how developers can use an editor and a server-side scripting
language to build web applications ...

Because that's basically the same as this:

... how developers can use both Flash Builder and ColdFusion to create
Flex applications ...

And of course, to build applications that are "just" ColdFusion, you
have to know a lot of things already - relational databases, HTML,
HTTP, maybe JavaScript and CSS.

You seem to want things to be not only simpler than they are, but
simpler than they can be.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or on