> When I mentioned "medium", I meant "delivery medium", not
> "creation medium".

I don't see how that makes any difference. When you write CF and HTML
applications using, say, jQuery, you have a bunch of files that you
create. Some are CF files that generate HTML. Others are JavaScript
files. Still others are CSS files. You can create them all in one
editor, or in separate editors.

When you write Flex applications with a CF backend, you also have a
bunch of files you create. Some are CF files that generate XML or some
other consumable format (typically, you don't even have to worry about
the format thanks to the data options in Flash Builder). Others are
SWF files. You can create them all in one editor, or in separate
editors.

> Can I just build HTML5/CSS3/jQuery/SQL/CF apps and then
> just "convert" them to AIR applications without programming
> FLEX?

AIR is a runtime library that supports two types of applications:
Flex/AS3 and HTML/JS. But the key thing is, they're desktop
applications instead of web applications. So, you could use CF
services from your desktop application, but you couldn't take your
existing CF applications and simply make them into AIR applications
without significant changes.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.