Hey Dave,
The description of what you are trying to accomplish is  very vague. If you
just wanted clarification on redirects vs SEO, they are not good practice and
will probably mess everything up.  If you want advice on how to handle what you
need to accomplish on an SEO friendly way, please post what it is that your
index page is doing, being as specific as possible. Or hit me up off list

William Seiter