If you want to be able to run two different branches of the same app at the
same time, you can just create two virtual hosts on your web server and
point each one at a different root directory.

As an aside, having different context roots (or no context at all) should
not matter unless you are hardcoding the path everywhere in your
application instead of using a variable.