for CF sites it should be fine to simply enable errors in IIS as all your
errors are going to be returned by CF anyway.
The only exception would be if your running a mixed site with CF and other
technology.
In which case as long as you separate your technologies into different
folders, you can put a web.config into each folder with different settings.
So CF could have errors enable and asp.net disabled for example.
Or you could simply create a custom error on IIS and have
that displayed instead.

have you tried using the sitewide error template in CF, I don't think
that causes the server 500 error.