>>2. Only query the primary keys, and then loop over that list grabbing x
records at a time and doing a new query to get all rows for those keys.

This is a pretty good method.
I tested it on a database containing about 450000 records with a seach template.
I give a very loose criterion on purpose, the query takes 53 sec and returns
44500 records.
This is ridiculous since the user will only see ten records at a time, using
startRow and maxRows in a CFOUTPUT.
And for the next page, it takes another 50sec :-(
A certain amount of time is also taken by CFX_highlight which highlights every
occurence of the search string,
again in the 44500 records!

With this method, the query returns only the 10 records needed, and it takes
about 5 sec the first time and 3 sec any subsequent times.
And the CFX_highlight is applied on only 10 records at a time. A big difference.