From: Al Musella, DPM [mailto:muse...@virtualtrials.com]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 4:32 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Problem with Hackers on Donation form through Authorize.net

I have just gone through this...  A big problem is that the
owner  complains and the credit card company charges you a penalty
and  if many get through they can dump you.

At first, I banned the IP address when someone tried 3 times
unsuccessfuly.  That worked for about a day then they would come back
and try again, but with different IPs.  Must be real people and not a bot.

Then I tried something different... if someone tries 3 times without
success, I flag the IP address and then when they submit a donation,
I return the  page that says it failed (and I do not even send it on
to the credit card company).
I also flag the entire subnet to make it harder to get around.  Most
are from south america and china..  should probably reject any non
north american ip..

A few people have called me and told me they tried to make a donation
and they get rejected for no apparent reason.. in which case I take
the donation by phone.

   I went about a month without 1 complaint so it might be working!