Why not just get your own server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Michaels [mailto:r...@michaels.me.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:54 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: New Round of Exploits going on

Byron,

That is partly true, if you make certain assumptions, but things are not
quite that simple, considering the following.

Let say you get your own server to host your own site.
And that is it, you do not do any kind of lockdown, do not keep your patches
and hotfixes up to date, do no monitoring what so ever.
Then yes in such a scenario the shared server will  be safer in general
because your server as a whole is not secure, so a vulnerability on the
server is more likely.
So getting a server with no idea what your doing and no management or
support, would be pretty dumb. If you do not have the skills to manage it
yourself and make sure it is secure then you should be paying you host or
someone else to do this for you.

However if you are running a server with *ONLY* your own site on it, your
chances of being attacked in the first place are much less than a shared
server, Consider that a shared server is going to have *AT LEAST* 200 other
sites on it, probably more, and attackers generally target a list of
domains/websites rather than the server itself when looking for
vulnerabilities, so that is a 20,000% increase in your chances of being
hacked due to other websites on the server already

Lets also consider that your own site is written in CF, and so CF is the
only thing you would have installed on your own server.
So you only have one "application layer" attack vector.
But on a shared server your also going to have ASP, .NET, Perl, PHP, Ruby
and probably more, so that has just increased the possible attack vectors by
at least another 500%