As fun as a discussion like this is, I would caution people to
avoid basing your career off of one product or system. No matter
who you work for, you are a small business with one employee.
Make decisions about your capabilities with that in mind. Be
objective about decisions that are out of your control. You
should have at least one plan B. Never stop learning new things
inside and outside of programming.

I remember the discussion when CF changed from very low cost
to an "enterprise" price (V3->V4?). I gave it up and went with
ASP since it was "free". The same discussions about price were
happening back then. I don't know the answer, but CF has had a
lot of resilience. (I ended up back in CF once I started using
corporate servers.)

The main thing anyone can do is be active in the CF community,
but be realistic. Nothing lasts forever. What would realistically
happen to CF developers if Adobe canned ColdFusion? Most
enterprises that use it would keep it running for a while and
employ people to rewrite applications eventually. I don't know
how long Adobe will keep ColdFusion, but I assume for some time
in the future.

Don't let something out of your control define your future (or
at least hedge your bets.) The development landscape changes
every few years. You have time to deal with it if you stay
informed on trends.
--
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RogerTheGeek