I was only referring to Gmail not other webmail interfaces, which I have
found quicker and more responsive than Outlook. Outlook is a slugish
monster and prone to crashing, always has been and is well known for it.

You cannot really compare your Smartermail Server to Google Apps, that is
like comparing a word processor App to Microsoft Office or a 1 bed
apartment to a 5 bed house.
You should go and take a look at what Google Apps actually is, as you are
clearly under the impression is is just basic email, which is so not the
case.
For what you get, $5 per user is incredibly cheap.
Clearly it is not suitable for you or your client who is obviously very low
budget, but you should at least research the facts before making invalid
judgements or comparisons, you may find other clients for which this is
suitable, which would be a potential lost sale if you don't know the facts.