> What concerns me about using any Google product is just how much they know
> about me and my life.
>
> They have already been fined on numerous occasions for the inappropriate
> collection of personal data and I am getting a little tired of helping them
> feed me adverts.

Google Apps is a product that you pay for, and it has completely
different terms of service than free Google products. Google Apps for
Business users do not get ads. Google Apps for Business user data is
not used inappropriately, per the terms of service. Google Apps has
been certified for use by the US federal government, which has pretty
strict rules about these sorts of things. Google Apps is used by
banks, medical firms, law firms, accounting firms - all companies with
strict rules about PII, data sharing, etc, etc.

> I like my data to be on my computers where it is perfectly safe.

You've never lost any data? Never had a computer fail? It seems to me
that we must have completely different ideas of "perfectly safe".

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.