Mike,

Based on what you’ve outlined below, and what you’re already aware of, I would
say the biggest challenge for your migration is going to be in migrating the
databases from SQLServer.  That one can tricky but there are a number of good
tools out there to help you do that.

In answer to your other questions:

A)
        1) The case-sensitivity is the big issue with existing apps.   For
relative paths in your apps, make sure you take a look at any hard-coded path
delimiters as well and change back-slashes to slashes. The other challenges
come on the differences in the configuration side of things.
        2) Linux distros are a matter of preference, and the debate can rage on
forever. That said, CentOS is the winner in my book, hands down, for Coldfusion
web application servers and for most dedicated database servers. The distro is
active, well maintained, and just about every module or library you would need
is actively developed to be compatible with CentOS/RedHat.  Ubuntu is a solid
server distro as well, but falls a bit short to CentOS, IMHO, as a CF/Railo
platform.

B)
        Yes, the move is relatively painless - even more so with Railo 4 than
it was with Railo 3.  You may have some pain if you have apps that create or
manipulate PDF’s extensively for reporting or CFChart as you may find some
differences in the way they are rendered.  The unsupported tags list will help
you there as it identifies where there are differences in functionality:
https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki/CFML-tags-that-are-not-supported  You
will miss the ability to drop a CF application in to a new webroot and go, but
configuring the server.xml file for a new site is relatively painless.  You can
also install mod_cfml to automate the process: http://www.modcfml.org/

A Control Panel is really helpful for administering multiple clients.
VirtualMin is my preference among Linux CP’s.

HTH,
Jon