Garry

The hack files are not always called h.cfm. In fact that was just one named
used by one attacker. there was also i.cfm by another attacker. Others have
used other file names and/or other techniques as described in this blog post
that Mark Kruger wrote that describes an exploit method I found. The file can
be named anything. and it’s does not even need to be a .cfm or .cfc file. As
this post points out
(http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2013/12/5/attack.vector.missing.template.handler
 )  Odds are someone was able to insert onto your server a "web shell" file
that is granting them full access to anything they want on the server.

The blog post by Charlie that was already mentioned is a great resource too.

Here is what I would be doing:

1. At this point I would be changing my mail server credentials and going from
CFAdmin mail credential settings to template level just to stop the flow of
bogus email.
2. Locking down the CFAdmin and CFIDE or disabling it all together. The fastest
way on IIS would be to restrict access to CFIDE to the 127.0.0.1 IP address.
3. Next I would do a search of all text files for the existence of "<CFMAIL”.
4. If a file is found then you can search for that file name in your web server
and CF logs to see when it was first created/accessed.

Depending on what you find it may or may not be necessary to abandoned the
server and start with a fresh setup. That is the worst case situation and we’ve
run into that before.

Also remember that a fully patched CF8.0.1 server HAS the CFAdmin API exploit.

If you need further help please contact me. Investigating hacked servers is a
large part of what we do at CF Webtools.

Regards,
Wil

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/