David said >> Why not write a form generator?
I said     >> zero administration.

I say now: Huh, what was I saying?

Paul said >>
The only solution I can come up with, is to create a custom tag to generate
the custom HTML tags we want from a limited source, and then we get back to:
"Why not ignore CF for the most part and just write it in HTML".  For the
amount of control we want, creating a CSS and using the client side is far
more sensible, especially as you can change everything you want!

Eric now says >>
(I posted after an 8:15PM hockey game - you know the score). What I meant to
say was?

If you mean using a desktop form generator and post static html forms that
can be customized, it won't work because I have dynamic form requirements.
ie Member driven, non-technical, web based form (or data structure)
creation.

If you mean. create an online form generator. yeah that's what I want. And
as for performance you could stage or cache the created forms, until someone
changes design or structures.

I think what I need to do, is build. I have an idea of what I want, just not
quite sure how to get there.

Thanks
Eric

rambling noise.
I am losing track of the conversation a little bit so bear with me. But my
last post was 2:30AM, and this one started back at work at 6:45AM so that's
my excuse.

I think we are actually in agreement. But I think I need to learn more. I am
immature in my thoughts and have grey areas that are filled with black
magic.

To clarify why I think dynamic form generation is cool, I have two
applications in mind.

1.) Member Defined Profiles
A Member registration site stores basic profile information. In addition, I
want to be able to extend the profiling capabilities to allow the Members to
create forms to collect information based on their needs. There is no limit
to the number of profiles that can be created for any particular Member.

Example:
Sports Portal site. Members can join
1.) Sports Interest Groups
2.) Sports Organizations / Leagues etc.

Member starts with a basic profile:
1.) MemberID, Email, Password, Reminder, ReminderAnswer
2.) ExtendedProfile (Address, Phone etc.)

The Member joins some Sport Interest groups. Hockey and Football say, and
the administrators of the sport interest groups might want some profile
information. These profiles/personas/forms/pages (whatever) are added to the
Members profile, so he can return at any time to edit the information that
is offered to the administrators.

Later on he joins a league. Additional profile information is required to
process the member's registration. this is added as an additional page to
his profile.

Some notes: for the most part these profiles are Member generated, so there
needs to be a tool for the Member to build the pages and structures that are
going to hold the information. These are not neccessarily technical people
so it needs to be friendly.

In my head it would be easiest to simply store the structure somewhere.
Form.DTD? XML? and then dynamically render the form when it comes time to
collect the data. Store the data as a generic XML packet.

Now the extension is that the form can have presentation information stored
as well.