So the real trick is making it extensible so you can use it to lay out a "basic
default" form, but override certain things to customize it.

The design I had worked out didn't assume you only had one field per row. It let you
put as many fields as you liked in a row. It would add up the number of fields on each
row, multiply them all for a "common" denominator, and use that as the number of
columns in a table. Each table cell would use rowspan to use up the appropriate space.
Everything would come out neat and lined up...

I hadn't gotten to field validation yet when I put it aside...