Bill,

Ouch yerself. :)

Your assumption is that 98% of all users have scripting enabled.
Reality, as always is different.  I'd guess much lower, especially
taking into consideration all the viruses and IE bugs over the last
year where users, especially at corporations and ESPECIALLY in the
government have been required to turn JS off.

So I'd back up Adam in a heartbeat, you can NEVER be sure with client
side scripting.  ALWAYS check on the server.  And really, what's the
performance price for a trip to the server these days?  2 seconds?
What's the performance hit for your client having to wade through
error messages from clients when they get a JS error or when a form
is submitted with invalid information?  Hours?

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Allaire Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.
<phn>617.350.0339