> how can you develop assuming that scripting is ON?

It's my experience that most developers assume this as well. Most developers
also take the time to ensure that scripting degrades gracefully in
non-scripting browsers when it is convenient. The problem is that some
applications/interfaces require scripting.

> if 2% of your customers have scripting disabled (just to use your numbers
> for a mo'), that's 2% of the people who WON'T be coming back to your site
> buy something.  that's like refusing to put in handicapped access ramps,
> because hey, only a small portion of the population is disabled, and i
don't
> care if they can't get into my store.

Calm down there Chris. :) Comparing non-scripting browsers to people with
handicaps is a little extreme. For the most part, people choose to disable
scripting in their browsers. They also choose to change Web site colors and
font sizes as well as whether or not to display images. These things can't
be helped, nor should they be.

This doesn't stop most of us from using images in pages. We, as developers,
have to make conscious decisions to use images, scripting, etc. when certain
users might not be able to view this information because they have elected
to turn it off or because they have a real handicap that requires they use a
browser with alternative renderings or input methods.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
Voice: (508) 240-0051