Use JavaScript, It's a life saver.  We load nearly all of our validation
scripts in a header file so you call the validation anytime you need it.  We
never use CFForm because it writes the Javascripts for you.  If need to call
any JavaScript on an event with a CFForm element is such as onBlur it won't
work.

here's an  example we implement our JavaScript.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
        // Checks the E-MAIL field.
                function valid(form) {
                        var field = form.EmailAdd; // email field
                        var str = field.value; // email string
                        var reg1 = /(@.*@)|(\.\.)|(@\.)|(\.@)|(^\.)/; // not valid
                        var reg2 =
/^.+\@(\[?)[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+\.([a-zA-Z]{2,3}|[0-9]{1,3})(\]?)$/; // valid
                        if (!reg1.test(str) && reg2.test(str)) { // if syntax is valid
                                return true;
                        }
                        alert("\"" + str + "\" is an invalid e-mail!"); // alerts that
e-mail is
invalid
                        field.focus(); //resets focus to e-mail form element
                        field.select(); //select all characters in that field
                        return false;
                }

//-->
</SCRIPT>

Now inside your form you element would look like this;
        <input type="text" name="EmailAdd" size="20" maxlength="50" onBlur="return
valid(BuilderInfo)" class="mandatory">

Where "BuilderInfo" would be your form name

Hope this helps.
 Will