See below...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] AT INTERNET on 02/12/2001 12:44 PM

Subject:  Form validation without alert boxes

>1. Client side: Could someone please show me an example of doing
client-side
>form validation that doesn't use the alertbox method? It would be
nice if
>next to the input field the user would simply see red text explaining
their
>input error.

Can we say DHTML?  Instead of making an alert box popup, you can
populate the field in question with a message or even hide/un-hide
text next to the field.  All this without a page refresh!  You could
even unhide a big flag that reads 'Hey dumbass, you forgot
something!'.

>2. Server side: How about server-side validation using CFFORM with
the same
>kind of output--is there an easy way to re-display the original form
fields
>with error messages where applicable and keeping/displaying the form
entries
>the user has properly entered?

if ERROR then redisplay the form with pre-populated fields.
Or, you could use <input type="hidden" name="var_required"> or even
use CFINPUT within CFFORM.  Both of these will allow the user to hit
his back button to return to the form.

>I just need a solid starting point for these problems.
>
>Many thanks,

No problem.

DK