Not sure of your particular reasoning for staying away from alert boxes
but... some don't like having 20 separate alert boxes (one for each field
validated). If that's the reasoning, you can call a validation routine
during the submit process that runs validation on all the fields and builds
one alert box showing what's wrong.

something like:
The following fields need to be filled out:
Name
City
State
Etc.....
The following fields must be numeric:
Phone Number

You get the idea.

This prevents the user having the frustration of many single alert boxes.
I do simple checking with JS but more complex checking with cf on the server
side. After cf validation, I change the background of the td tag to red and
display a message at the top of the page.

HTH

Stephen