Go for these books.

Cold Fusion 4.0 web application construction kit  - gets you quick up and
running
Advanced Cold Fusion application development  - covers the more "heavy"
stuff

I've also read through the Mastering CF 4.5 book and I found it to be slower
and not as fun to follow.

Cold Fusion 4.0 web application construction kit teaches you variables and
then how to connect to databases (queries) and how to handle the output,
while the Mastering book uses alot of chapters on forms and stuff I found
not so usefull when starting out.

Cold Fusion 4.0 web application construction kit is better for learning CF
since it gets you up and running fast, it teaches you the most necissary
things earlier than Mastering CF 4.5.

But for all means Mastering CF 4.5 is a good book also, and you should get
all 3 as I've found Mastering to be better on some methods and Cold Fusion
4.0 web application construction kit better in some.
I've bougth all 3 books myself.

Sincirely
Tom Espen Pedersen
developer @ www.pixelduck.com