Ahhh...  They joys of MS Access file permissions.  Sure you can have

lots of people accessing the same file based DB.  Since all accesses

go throught the Microsoft JET DB engine, all the locking & whatnot is

handled for you.

The reason you were seeing only one person accessing the file at a

time is due to file permissions.  In order to get multiple accesses

to one MS Access database, JET needs to create a lock file

(yourdatabase.ldb).  In order to create a lock file, the user that

JET is running as needs read/write access to both your Access MDB

file *AND* the directory that contains it.  Specifically, they need

change and create file rights on the directory so they can create

that .LDB file.  If JET can't create the LDB file, it limits the DB

to one user at a time.

If you're accessing the site from CF, then the user that CF runs as

needs Change rights to the directory.  With ASP, it's usually the

IUSR that needs that access.  We usually just stick Everyone w/

Change rights on that directory for good measure...

(See below for more on Access cabilities.)

I'm light on concrete figures, but last I checked IMC Online actually

refused to host an Access DB that was larger than 10MB or allow one

on a site that generated more than 2MB of logfiles per day.  They

insited on that to maintain server stability, and I certainly don't

blaim them for it.  Access is a huge hit on a server compared to a

dedicated SQL Server.

When you add to that Access's occasional spontaneous database

corruption, various leaks in the ODBC drivers....  Access is a huge

headache compared to SQL Server.

Now certainly SQL Server is an expense, but if your client plans to

make money with their site, I'd say SQL Server (or a similar

client-server RDBMS) is almost a requirement.

We've had more than a few clients insist on using Access, only to

come groveling back to us after a year or so when their trafic goes

up and their site suddenly starts dieing....  Not that we complain

too much...  We charge hourly to convert the site over to SQL

Server... ;-)

Just to clarify...  I'm in no way associated w/ IMC Online, and I'm

not sure whether the restrictions I mentioned are still or ever were

accurate.  I have perused IMC's customer support site in the past

when we've hosted various clients there, and I seem to remember

something to the effect of what I quoted above.  Don't take it as

Gospel, tho...

Best regards,

Zac Bedell