You should be able to do it the way you are describing, but you need to tell
SQL server that you are restoring from a device, rather than from a
database.

>From the Restore database dialog, there will be three options (on SQL2000 -
I seem to recall that SQL7 was the same):
Restore:  (1) Database  (2) Filegroups or files (3)From Device

You need to choose From device, and then click the Select Devices... button,
then the Add... button, then the browse (...) button, and this will let you
browse your hard drive for the backup file.

Hope that helps,
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: sebastian palmigiani [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: April 10, 2001 1:55 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: SQL Server database restore

I did my development in windows 98 with SQL Server. I have now windows 2000,
with a clean install.

How do I get the SQL Server database which I have backed up from the
win98/SQL Server set up into the new win2000/SQL Server set up?

I have put the backed up database in the SQL Backup folder but  SQL Server
does not see it. I have looked at using Data Transformation Services but
none of the options seem to give me a way of accessing the backed up SQL
Server database.

I know there is an easy solution to this but I don't know it. Can anyone
help me on this?

Thanks,
Sebastian