I suppose this may or may not work for your particular situation, it
seems to be a switch from what you have implemented (or was planning on
implementing)

  Build it all as one application.  And build a security scheme into the
database, with users and groups (tables).  Turn off (or on) navigational
items based on the user sign in.  In separate directories, use the
application.cfm to check whether or not the user is in a group that has
access to this directory.
   You can even take this a step further and create one discussion group
code-base, and turn on and off all of the messages based on the user's
groups.  Take this scenario:

   I log in to your application.
   I click the discussion room link.
   I'm presented with a list of sections that I have access to  (I.E.
section 1, section 2, section 3, through section 11)
   Clicking the section will give me a list of all discussions in that topic.

   It should be easy enough to intersect a group table with a section
table, and intersect the section table with discussion messages.

  Would that work?   From a functional standpoint, it's a
solution.  However, politics may trash it.  I can imagine people being
offended that their discussion group is listed on the same page as another
section's discussion group.  (Corporate America--or wherever--gotta love it)

   It sounds like a flawed reason to allow anonymous posting, kind of like
a solution to avoid the problem, not solve it.  Can 'you' dymanically' name
an application using the CFAPPLICATION tag?  I've never even thought to try
it before.  Maybe you could use the same discussion group code, but
automatically log people in by passing the application name as a variable
into the template.  (I.E. you'll have access to all the previous session /
application / client variables)