My take on all of this certification business is this:

Fine if you are an ACP, better if you are and MCSE because many companies that use MS
solutions like to "require" it of their consultants.

As far as CF certification goes, I am not certified yet, but I know too many people
who are certified and still ask the same old questions that could be looked up in a
heart-beat.  Code samples and links to previous work are by far the best things to
judge a person's experience and competence by.  Also, requiring ungodly amounts of
skills and skillsets is ridiculous.  How many companies list: ColdFusion, JavaScript,
DHTML, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, ASP, SQL Server, Oracle, etc, the list goes on and on.

I'd worry about someone who comes to interview with me and says they know all of those
things really well.  I truly think there are only a handful of people who don't eat or
sleep that are experts in all of those things.  I would like someone with a more
narrow skillset, say CF, JavaScript and SQL Server, maybe DHTML, and to know those
skills INSIDE-OUT.  That to me would show that they are focused on mastering languages
and applications.  There is nothing wrong with posting "desired" or "skills that would
be a plus" or "some knowledge a plus" areas, but I just don't think it's realistic to
required every single scripting language and database server.

-Andy